About the Customer
The customer is developing a tool for monitoring the financial health of the supply chain for a Fortune 500 Aerospace manufacturing company.
Scope of Work
The customer provided TVS with an initial draft of the application which has limited functionality and an existing issue. TVS was expected to fix all the issues and enhance the code to turn it into a working application. The major tasks were:
- To fix both functional and User Interface issues in the application
- To implement various functions such as printing and login using LDAP
- To implement user protection on both static pages as well as in web app
The T&VS Technical Solution
A plan was agreed with the customer and converted into a project tracker for transparency and complete visibility of the progress. However, as the product was still evolving an agile methodology was adopted to incorporate specification changes and changes based on customer’s feedback. TVS also suggested improvements such as customization of right click menu options, improved print view, multi-tier architecture etc.
Initially, all components (frontend, backend, and DB instance) resided on the same AWS (Amazon Web Services) instance. This resulted in performance issues and at times the AWS API interface was not able to fetch the data in it’s predefined (10 seconds) timeout duration. To resolve such issues, TVS deployed the app server & DB server on different AWS instances and used AWS RDS for the database. This resulted in significant improvement in the performance and server responsiveness.
The Delivery Model
TVS maintained a transparent project tracker to track the progress and report status on a daily basis with weekly status calls. The project was split into three sprints.
- Fixing of all the existing bugs
- Implementation of login functionality
- Integrating web app with other static pages, protecting all the pages and other digital assets with login
TVS maintained 3 servers on AWS: test server, staging server and production server:
- Test Server: Used for internal testing by the team (developers and testers).
- Staging Server: Used to get feedback from the customer. The code was deployed on the staging server only after sign-off from testing team
- Production Server: Used by end users. The code was deployed on production server only after getting approval from the customer
Risk Mitigation Plan
Issues encountered during development were logged on an issue tracking tool and, if appropriate, TVS proactively investigated alternate solutions. Suitable options were then shared with the customer to help them decide the optimum solution.
All of the known issues in the existing application were fixed, and the performance and user interface of the application both improved. TVS also implemented the improved print functionality, the multi-tier architecture and implemented all the customer feedback in a timely manner.
- Transparent tracking of the project helped the customer in reliable planning of the demos and time to market
- Implementation of the improvements based on end user feedback helped the customer in improving the app functionality and the overall user experience
- Proactive improvements helped in improving the overall experience to the end user